"Supreme Court Bound? The Next Big Campaign Finance Case Set To Pick Up GOP Support." See the link to that headline here.
I include the response of a blogger below my opinion. MurphS has written, I think, a seminal piece on what Democrats and Progressives absolutely must do to stop the Republican stealing of elections through surreptitious means and stem Republican complete gutting of campaign finance laws once enacted by Congress to make elections fair. Republicans will eradicate completely the McCain/Feingold law of 2002 that attempted to stem the monstrosity of humongous money corrupting political campaigns. The electoral money anarchy deregulated and unchained creates a culture of corruption not seen historically since the robber barons of the late 19th century. Republicans want the ability to contribute gobs of cash to political campaigns to get what they want for their corporatist often racist and misogynist agenda through institutional bribery the funding of which Democrats do not have the ability to match.
We have the passion as Progressives. We came from the late 1960's and stopped a bestial war. We did that with our passion. Moreover, progressives secured a profound change for women, for minorities, for the disabled and for gays. Progressives did that. Progressives created a more relaxed culture with the eradication of various social mores that were inane. Progressives demanded women take control of their own bodies. Who hears the phrase "old maid" now? One seldom does and that is because of us. Now a woman does not need to be suicidal if she does not marry or because she does not look like a picture out of Vogue or because she ages. She can earn money in many cases more than the man. Progressives gave a voice in this nation to those who had no voice and power to those who were powerless. Progressives made life fairer and more humane. Republicans want to strip it all away and return to the suffocating reactionary, racist and misogynist days of yesteryear.
My fellow passionate Progressives and Democrats, in November, 2014 get out the vote, get out the vote, get out the vote in local, state, and federal elections. Do not falter and do not fail. Scream our progressive positions and take up verbal arms. Scream back at the Republican “conservative” ugly opposition and what it has done when it circumvents the political process through gerrymandering, voter suppression and a corporate activist Supreme Court. Republicans steal power even though the demographics are changing because they cannot gain power any other way.
Vote or you will lose the country we fought so hard over decades to create and the country it should continue to be. Do not let the perfect be the enemy of the good! Fight to continue the work Progressives have done.
Murp S BLOG:
THE GOP cannot win in a fair fight, so it will try to rig the electoral and finance game to ensure that those who agree with them have no problem voting and those that do not will face obstacles and restrictions; and to finance a tsunami of propaganda.
Much of this effort is backed by really big money from the GOP mega-millionaires and billionaires club. It's meant to take full advantage of the failure of Democrats to come out in the numbers necessary in 2010 to hold onto the House and onto key state legislatures which in turn led to the most radical redistricting in U.S. history since the end of Reconstruction.
SO WHAT ARE DEMS TO DO......????? LOSE THE MIDTERMS IN 2014 AND THE SENATE IS LOST, MORE LEGISLATURES GO RED, OBAMA HAS TO GO IT ALONE AND THE DEMOCRATIC BID FOR THE WH IN 2016 IS FURTHER IMPERILED.
1) The Democratic Party must stop pulling its punches; being polite and embracing the fake glory of bipartisan action. It must aggressively challenge everything.
2) The Democratic Party must develop the same kind of messaging and messaging discipline as the GOP has. Pointed, sharp, accusatory, demanding.
3) The Democratic Party must refute every lie: loud and clear.
4) The Democratic Party must make it painfully clear why Democrats and those who value the middle and lower classes must vote Democratic.
5) The Democratic Party must make one to one, door to door, phone to phone contact the cornerstone of its efforts bringing out the base and then adding every occasional Democratic voter to it while developing independent voters.
6) The Democratic Party must check and double check all of its registrations and get everyone the proper ID while educating its voters as to the real law and how to challenge fraudulent efforts to keep them from voting.
7) The Democratic Party must tap into the resources of every wealthy person who leans Democratic to get them to take on the GOP Big Money crowd in key states to buy the necessary time on TV and radio, in print and to mount far ranging internet efforts.
8) The Democratic Party must make the most of a national organizing project, spearheaded by Bill Clinton, to educate voters, demand reforms, and push back against restrictive laws.
9) The Democrats in Congress must push, and push hard, for the reinstatement of a meaningful Voting Rights Act knowing they will not get it but also knowing that demanding it forces the GOP to say "NO."
10) The Democrats must challenge in court every state legislature that passes legislation they believe to be unconstitutional and advertise their action in defense of the little guy.
Lose this one and lose a lot more than one election. This could well make 2016, 2018 and 2020 steep climbs despite the demographics."
GET OUT THE VOTE AND ELECT DEMOCRATIC PROGRESSIVES ACROSS THE NATION. OUR NATION'S LIFE -- YOUR LIFE DEPENDS THAT WE DO!