Thursday, October 20, 2016

WHY I AM PRO CHOICE

The following is a public posting of a woman who had the heart wrenching experience of a late term abortion. It is exactly why I am a fierce advocate for choice specifically because of people like she. I thank her for sharing her very personal experience and allowing it to go public as the reality of abortion, most especially a late term one, is NEVER as the anti-choice rightwing religious fanatics say it is and as Trump described it in woefully ignorant fashion for political expediency to court Evangelicals watching the debate last night. Abortion, in this case a late term one, is usually fraught with the difficult emotions she had to endure and late term abortions usually accompany a medical lifesaving emergency that necessitated it. Others should bear witness to her story. This is from a women in Utah, who happens to be Mormon. In my opinion her story MUST be told and is told in her words she wants others to share. Her story is as follows:

"I HAD A LATE TERM ABORTION. IT IS NOTHING LIKE DESCRIBED BY TRUMP. PLEASE DON'T BASE YOUR VOTE ON THE FEAR MONGERING HE IS DOING. PLEASE READ MY EXPERIENCE:

I had to have a late term abortion. It was the worst moment in my life. What made it even worse was the State of Utah had made it illegal. I had one dead twin. The other had severe Spina Bifida, and would only have lived with life support, in great pain, for a few days.

I lay on the hospital floor, bawling hysterically, for twelve hours, waiting for an ethics committee of the health care corporation to decide my case justified what had to be done. My health was in danger due to the dead fetus. My husband and I consulted our LDS Bishop, who assured me I needed to do what I had to do, that it was even within LDS guidelines to do so. He reminded me I had six kids at home who needed their mother to live.

The abortion was terrible. It was done very gently, by Caesarean section, leaving the babies in their amniotic sacs. The living baby passed very quickly.

It was horrific. I think it even affected my dear physician, as he had never had to end a pregnancy before. I developed PTSD for which I had to be treated for years, mostly because of the fact I had to have it at all.

No woman should have to have the state have a say in the most painful decision she will ever make. Nobody is tearing babies apart in late term. They are always humanely done, only in situations where there is a non-viable or severely defective fetus and/or the mother's health is at risk.

Please don't vote for a candidate or a party that would make these decisions for the women who will die or be forced to carry unviable fetuses to term. This is a decision that is so painful and so terrible. Only the parents of the baby and a physician should be involved in the decision."

No comments:

NOT ANYMORE

  I wrote this last week and for the most part sat on it because I did not want my writing to imply anything against Israel. As stated agai...