Saturday, May 18, 2013

My Loves


Recently, the Globe asked its readers why they loved Boston.  I contributed to its blog.
I not only love Boston I love Massachusetts.  The combination of its contributory history creating the Republic and its history in support of progressive causes, Massachusetts has won my heart.  From the Transcendentalists Emerson and Thoreau to the nation's Federalist Founders its beginning combined brilliant political thought with a civil libertarian creed.  The humanitarian anti slavery movements and anti war free speech with its attendant bluest of blue Democratic political climate makes me so proud to be from Massachusetts.  I am an unabashed lover of the state.  
Boston is unique and diverse in its neighborhoods.  Its history encompasses the reflection of our nation.  Nothing is perfect and we had our racial eruptions but through it all Boston and Massachusetts remains the pinnacle of a freedom loving nation.  It has the best most prestigious universities and academics in the world with its sidecar of the best that medicine has to offer.  
Despite the horrendous Boston Marathon bombing I feel safe in the city and state I love.  I would not even think about living anywhere else!
YET STILL OTHER REASONS TO KEEP MASSACHUSETTS DEMOCRATIC BLUE.  ENCOURAGE EVERYONE YOU KNOW TO VOTE ED MARKEY TO THE US SENATE AND IF YOU CAN WORK FOR THAT AS WELL. 

No comments:

NOT ANYMORE

  I wrote this last week and for the most part sat on it because I did not want my writing to imply anything against Israel. As stated agai...