Sunday, May 20, 2012

Interesting Interview: Inside the Actors Studio Interview by James Lipton of the Mad Men Cast

I do not know how many watch the AMC fabulous series “Mad Men” and love it as I do.  Last evening Bravo broadcast an interview of its main cast taken by James Lipton on Inside the Actors Studio.  It was incredible.  If you get Bravo I suggest you search for it on your cable station and may be able to watch it or you can try to see if its online simply by Googling Bravo and then looking for Inside the Actors Studio interview of Mad Men.  I posted the following opinion of the Interview that may be of interest:
 
I am a faithful-without-fail viewer of "Mad Men" since the beginning of the series. I have been watching television for a very long time and remember the late 50’s and early 60’s well. I became immersed in the subject matter of Mad Men because I lived it.  The direction is brilliant, the story line is brilliant, and the actors are brilliant so as you can see I have a bias.  I never want the show to end and yet I know it must. 
 
It speaks to me on so many different levels. I could spend months with each character discussing the essence of her/his role.  This segment of Inside the Actors Studio with James Lipton interviewing each main character of Mad Men was RIVETING.  It was so riveting that I refuse to erase the tape until I make sure ALL my relatives and friends who love this show see it.
 
What absolutely wonderful questions James Lipton posed to all of them.  Each one has his/her own personal depth of story that brought them to such exquisite performances of this show.
 
I cannot say whom I loved the best because they were ALL unique, articulately fascinating, but, like so many others, I am immersed in Jon Hamm's character, Don Draper.  I think I am immersed even more now since I saw this Inside the Actors Studio segment because I identify with Jon Hamm's own personal history.  I too had a very ill parent for decades and on many levels I can identify with Jon. The family interaction was sometimes difficult, sad, hurtful and very impacting so I understand those tragedies that brought him to his role.  I cannot say I am glad he had to go through a difficult and often sad childhood but if it helped him craft the Don Draper role then I can say thank you to him for allowing that part to emerge within the character and for his revelations during the interview which allowed me not to feel alone. 
 
ALL others in the cast fall into the superb category.  I love them all for what they bring to each role.  I love the story because I relate to it and I love the characters because they bring a window into an era to which some in this country would want unhappily to return but which closed most of its windows so no one could see in.  It also makes me realize that some vestiges of that opaque era have not left us.  We as a nation are split right down the middle; one part yearning to return to those days and another grateful that the social revolution of the late 60’s occurred.  I personally fall into that latter category. 
 
Special kudos go to 11-year-old Kiernan Shipka who plays Sally.  She would make any parent feel blessed that they produced such an intelligent, mature and significantly creative person who lights up a room with her smile and enthusiasm.  I hope we will see more roles she attempts and often!

No comments:

NOT ANYMORE

  I wrote this last week and for the most part sat on it because I did not want my writing to imply anything against Israel. As stated agai...