Wednesday, February 09, 2011

A Wonderful Book: I read "The Invisible Wall" written at age 96 by Harry Bernstein (he is now 100 years old!) It is a beautiful, intriguing and an emotionally poignant work. My copy is tear-stained in more than one place as I related to many segments about Mr. Bernstein's childhood and his life's journey. It takes place at turn-of-the-20th-century England in a mixed blue collar neighborhood which saw Jews living on one side of the street and Christians on the other. It encompasses the Jewish experience of Anti-Semitism in the WWI era, both groups' grudging acceptance of each other and travels his own personal journey with its twists, turns and heartache as he climbed with courage and innocence the Mt. Everest of a difficult life.

It reminded me a little bit of Thorton Wilder's "Our Town" but from a Jewish perspective. There are too many chapters for which I could wax ebullient. In short, I thought it was a wonderful book and very well worth reading. He gives inspiration to those of us whose experience did not turn out quite as we expected it would. He breathes hope into a tired spirit many times slowed by life's vicissitudes.

Mr. Bernstein, gives me inspiration. His book conveys that it is never too late to pick up the remaining pieces and begin anew.

I am profoundly touched by this work!

No comments:

NOT ANYMORE

  I wrote this last week and for the most part sat on it because I did not want my writing to imply anything against Israel. As stated agai...