Wednesday, June 13, 2018

You're going to take a shower

Did you ever feel so strongly about an issue that you want your words on paper to scream at those reading them to pay attention?  It is what I am experiencing now a sense of incredulity so strong that I have not experienced since I watched as a child at age 10 my first newsreel film about the German concentration camps of WWII shown in my theater at intermission between the usual, then, two films.  In my many opinions I have spoken of this seminal event which formed my politics and refined them as an adult.  The newsreel of the film about the horror of the camps was the first time I had witnessed man's inhumanity to man and his crimes against humanity as heaps of dead bodies outside of gas chambers were later shown to be the end result of the entire Nazi purpose. I was sickened.  My child's mind kept thinking it could not be so.   At age 13 the film "Judgment at Nuremberg" solidified what I would come to know as the Holocaust and I remain to this day incredulously stunned that this, indeed, was so. 

One of the poignant narrations of the first documentary I saw about the Holocaust was its revelation that to con masses of humanity naked into the death rooms where Zyklon B gas was discharged from shower heads was to have the captured strip down and in bold mendacity iterate to them they were merely going to take a shower.  That lie calmed the victims so that they would not wax hysterical when the ugly truth and inhuman purpose of the gassing would be reveled to them.  Masses of humanity could be kept from that truth as they, unknowingly, walked to their deaths.  Nazi guards closed the "shower" doors, locked the captured inside and in mind numbing inhumane incredulity gassed millions of them, even women and children, to death. 

I thought as a child how lucky I was to live in a nation whose values of humanity, kindness and refuge for the powerless acted as a shelter against international storms.  All the oppressed, I thought, had to do was ask for asylum in America against such inhumanity and this empathetic country would let them in and act as it says on Lady Liberty “Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.  Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

Again, in enormous incredulity I see something I never would have thought I would see in this nation.  Another conman in our time orders his "border security" to tell women who have watched their children shot dead in front of their eyes, who have made the long torturous journey on foot to save as many of their children as they can only to be sent for incarceration in America as the American guards rip their children from them telling mothers that their children are simply going to the showers.  Going to the showers?  They, of course, are not going to the showers but they are going screaming to places unknown separated from their parents to conditions that remind me of the deadly German camps so many decades ago. 

My ears ring to hear words I cannot hear and my eyes see that which they cannot see.  Can day become night, can up become down, can summer become winter?  In the blink of an eye yes, it can. Evil can happen here and is happening here now.  The Trumpian hoards who do these dastardly deeds and obey a commander who should be deemed certifiably insane deserve to be tried for not only their infinite number of crimes against powerless people but by an international court for crimes against humanity.  We can do nothing less but to hold these unconscionable humans who commit these ugly acts to a fate which they justly deserve.  

Still, I do not have the words profound enough to reflect my emotion but Spencer Tracy, playing the American judge in "Judgement at Nuremberg " does.  I ask you, no I implore you to listen as he pronounces his verdict on the guiltiest of men and proclaims "We stand for justice, truth, and the value of a single human life."  It is a tale for all men and for all ages even or most especially now for our own.

No comments:

NOT ANYMORE

  I wrote this last week and for the most part sat on it because I did not want my writing to imply anything against Israel. As stated agai...