Friday, April 25, 2014

The Cycle of Life, the Blue Marble and us

The article below "Blood from world's oldest woman (115) suggests life limit" presents amazing science as it studies the blood of the oldest woman who lived to age 115.  

We know, all of us, that everyone and every living thing on the planet dies.  It must to keep the planet alive.  Can you imagine if human beings and every mortal thing on earth lived twice or even three times what they do now?  It would make the planet unlivable with an overgrowth that would be unsustainable.  Death and rebirth is nature's house cleaner; its insurance policy to keep the planet going and in balance.

And yet who among us wants to die or looks forward to the physical onslaughts of aging?  Humans have attempted, successfully, to live much longer.  Without medical intervention the human life span would be about 45 years but because of the medical and technological improvements of science it has been extended much longer.  We can see the difficulties (and the joys) that this presents.  In America it does seem that, culturally, we think of death as wrong; that it should not be but it must be, is, and always will be within our cycle of life.  It is, I think, one of nature’s rules as it is one of the human conundrums. 

The process of aging as the legend in her time, the actress Bette Davis said, "ain't for sissies."  It can be and often is difficult because we extend life beyond the dictates of nature’s command.  Youth all around us is filled with joy and enthusiasm but I suspect there are few of us once we reach close or to old age are so joyous to confront it.  Religion sees this and points to eternal life through faith.  For those of us who are in love with science the religious myths, at least for me, offer little to no comfort.  I am a realist.  Life is to me, as the philosopher Hobbs said, nasty, brutish and ever so short.  Despite this fact, though, life remains for me not long enough!

No matter what our human experience most, every day, go on yearning to take another breath, sometimes just one more, to stay alive.  Why?  For me it is because I love life's mysteries, the human ability (and seemingly only the human ability) to see its beauty, to understand it and to strive to see it one more day; to see one more mystery solved, to see history unfold and, of course, to see longer those I love .  I want to see how it all turns out, I want to know what happens and truthfully, in my egotistical way ever since life’s vale of self was lifted at about age 3, I cannot envision life without me.  It will, though, be without me, one day, despite all my attempts which are legion, to avert its end.  Life goes on no matter what, the planet will endure I suspect even with human attempts to kill it.  That blue marble planet in the heavens we can now see is our home.  We should do everything we humanly can to keep it blue, healthy and sustainable for those, whether related or not, who come for generations after us.

Blood from world's oldest woman (115) suggests life limit.  Here or at this link:http://www.aol.com/article/2014/04/24/blood-from-worlds-oldest-woman-suggests-life-limit/20875023/?ncid=webmail1

No comments:

NOT ANYMORE

  I wrote this last week and for the most part sat on it because I did not want my writing to imply anything against Israel. As stated agai...