Sunday, March 09, 2014

A Suggested First Look

Glenn Greenwald civil libertarian supreme, documentary film maker Laura Poitras, Jeremy Scahill (Academy Award nominee for best documentary film: Dirty Wars,) Matt Taibbi the brilliant expositor of Wall Street's egregiously unethical activities that helped crush the middle class are creating a new enterprise.  

They are all my gurus despite the fact that I do not agree with everything they posit.  I agree with enough of their views to make them a part of my intellectual quest for truth. They and others whose intellectual gifts are many and whose political slant is humanitarian left of center are joining forces to create an online enterprise called "First Look Media." I link it here or below.  It is in its formative stage. When it is completed it will be one of the web pages I will go to often in my quest for journalistic excellence.  

I urge to you check it out.  They summarize its objective as follows:

First Look Media seeks to re-imagine journalism for the digital age, combining the promise of technological innovation with the power of fearless reporting. Founded by Pierre Omidyar, the organization will pursue original, independent journalism that is deeply reported and researched, thoroughly fact checked, and beautifully told. We are driven above all by a belief that democracy depends on a citizenry that is not just highly informed, but deeply engaged. In all our work, we are committed to strict standards of accuracy and honesty, a willingness to report our own errors and inconsistencies as well as those of others, and a deep respect for the transformative power of true stories.

I wished them luck and said in an email to them:

There can be no doubt that the forces of mendacious media that promote lies and half truths is filled to the corporate teeth with money that makes it so difficult to forge a new way and report truth.  I have followed Glenn Greenwald when he wrote for Salon, the Guardian and when he was interviewed by numerous media.  I have heard him speak at Harvard and have followed closely the Snowden revelations and other civil libertarian issues about which Glenn has written. While I take issue with some things, I look to Glenn Greenwald, Matt Taibbi, Laura Poitras, Jeremy Scahill and many others for truth that most reporting and journalism in our time sorely lacks.  

I lived through the anti-war era of Howard Zinn and many others in the late 1960's, looking up to their scholarship. My life was changed philosophically and politically by them.  Now I look to this new generation of humanitarian journalists to point the way for our time as it is time or rather it is way past time that the course of our nation change and recapture that which the so called "Greatest Generation" of my parents illuminated but has over decades lost its bright light and therefore its way.

I write my own opinion blog which is not the scholarship your writers will provide but transmits my view so that when, perhaps, scholars study this era long after I am gone, they will see there are those among us who wanted to speak truth to power and stand for something humane again.  

I will give "First Look" a first look, a second, a third and more.

I wish you all luck in your new venture.  Judging from your video explaining what you are trying to do I suspect you will be a success.  I look forward to reading your work.

No comments:

NOT ANYMORE

  I wrote this last week and for the most part sat on it because I did not want my writing to imply anything against Israel. As stated agai...