Saturday, August 12, 2006

Bill Moyers Faith and Reason: Recently, I had the wonderful opportunity to view two of Bill Moyer's interviews on his PBS show called "Faith and Reason." One interview was of Jeanette Winterson who, I believe, has written much and who as it says on the PBS web site "Winterson's works explore themes of desire, fantasy, sexuality, feminism, gender identification, love, and power in lyrical and imaginative prose, frequently mixing myth and history in settings ranging from 17th-century England to cyberspace."

I emailed Ms. Winterson and said the following:

Your quote shown on the PBS web site said:

"More than sex. More than money. You know, life is not endless is it? Cash, cars, cocaine, and girls. It's more than that. And there is a spiritual dimension to people...we are driven to want something more."

Indeed, as you say life seems to be more than what is tangible. However, we really do not know that for sure. All we know for sure is what we can see through provable science. An atheist friend of mine -- when I would say man needs to believe in something more, something beyond himself and all his superficial accoutrements -- would say to me just because man wants it to be so does not make it so.

To me until the mystical can be seen or proven, each person's mysticism remains, I believe, unique to him/herself. What is the truth unless we can see it even microscopically, or hear it, or prove it in some way? I cannot believe in anything mystical or supernatural until science tells me it is so and I have definitive proof or if I can see it in form or hear it in substance through my own senses . Otherwise, to me it's just pure supposition.

I have never been able to make that leap of mystical faith like others do. I wish I could because life would be so much nicer and less difficult to contend with its adversities.

No comments:

NOT ANYMORE

  I wrote this last week and for the most part sat on it because I did not want my writing to imply anything against Israel. As stated agai...